Re: Grace note beams and stems

From: Stan Sanderson
Subject: Re: Grace note beams and stems
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:21:46 -0500

On May 27, 2004, at 5:45 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:

Stan Sanderson wrote:
On May 27, 2004, at 1:26 PM, Jim Sabatke wrote:
Two problems with grace note beams:

1. The beams are way too thick for my use. I can get the single grace note flags really thin, but haven't been able to find what to set for the beams.

2. On a beamed grace note set like g32[ a' d' g], the a' note head is up agains the bottom beam. How do I lengthen the stems when the heads are squeezed up too tightly?

Thanks,
--
Jim Sabatke

With respect to your second question, here is my solution to a similar problem: \acciaccatura {\override Stem #'beamed-lengths = #'(3.6 4.2) af,16[ af']} The upper note was originally hidden in the beam; by adjusting the beamed-lengths, I was able to achieve the desired results.
Stan

Thanks Stan. That is working! I'm still guessing at values, trying, adjusting, etc.

Is there an explanation of the values anywhere?

--
Jim Sabatke

I have looked an explanation without success. I've inferred that the numbers refer to successive barred stem lengths; the example in the manual has three stems and three numbers.

Stan