My old beaming problem...

From: Joshua Koo
Subject: My old beaming problem...
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 23:59:42 +0800

hi all,

i thought i might had ask this question quite some time ago,
but maybe my mail wanst on the mailing list so i couldnt post,
or no one answered my question,
or i believed some did replied but i forgot all the advices u gave.
anyway using this mail should be no problem.

well, it began as im tried to typeset some music for mutopia,
so i came across this section of the code where i didnt seem to match lilypond
output with the publishing style.
it was some time ago, when my hdd burnt, then i stop using lilypond for some
while...
so now perphaps its fixed, or there's some simple way to do, or could still be
done with some hackary.

d8. a'16 d8. a16 | % check beaming
d8. [] a'16 d8. a16 | % Works but warning msgs are generated
d8. a'16[ d8. a16] | % wrong grouping
d8.] a'16 d8. a16 | % no difference
d8.][ a'16 d8. a16 | % Warnings?
d8.[ a'16 d8. a16 | % no difference?
d8. [a']16 d8. a16 | % no difference?
[d8.] a'16 d8. a16 | % Warnings?

maybe these png files i captured could explain what i said
http://www.lab4games.net/zz85/junk/ly/
like to hear some comments about this.

oh btw, inside that folder u can see a badly modified lilypond tools.
there's a (quite buggy) version of lilycomp which have i placed a tenor clef
and add a option to convert the absolute pitches and duration into relative
pitches and durations.  I sent a copy to the author of lilycomp, I sure when
he's got the time, he would improve the software.
and also a modified version of lilymode which makes viewing the ly much more
colourfully, thought its quite buggy hightlighting. but i really like it when i
use it i with editor scheme selector.

1 last point is that i figure out how to play with midi2ly.
1 guess a very import thing is to specify the  quantise note durations, if not
the generated ly looks really horrible.
depending on the songs, 16 or 32 seems quite good.
then of course, rests will appear as spaces, so any "s" u might change to "r".
another trick i found is like there are certain patterns to solve the
conversion mistakes.   as i could see, any slight breaks in between notes would
be counted as spaces, so u normally have to change ur length and delete the
spaces ... for example, 1 crotchet note might appear like this
ais8. s16
actual note is ais4
so just do a search and replace, finding all "8. s16" and replace with 4.
of course there's a possibly that "ais8. s16" might mean "ais8. r16" but it
seems chances are ais4 for me.
and there are more troublesomes types like many rests or super long notes,
fis16*37 s16 --> do the maths= fis16*38 = fis4*9.5
divide by the bars = fis4*4 + fis4*4 + fis4* 1.5 =
fis1~| fis ~| fis4~fis8
There seems to be little documentation on midi2ly but i hope in future, this
tool can be improve perphaps at least reducing the steps i mention above.

Joshua