Re: From no lyrics to 4 verses

From: Keith Dunsire
Subject: Re: From no lyrics to 4 verses
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:34:30 +0100

In case anybody is interested I have managed to solve the problem I posed a few
days ago with reference to the "repeat-shorter-bracket.ly" example. This
produces exactly what I wanted. A cut down version is:

% Generated by lilypond-book

\paper {
    linewidth = 160 \mm
}
\renameinput "Hymnsamp.ly"
\version "2.0.1"
\header{
    texidoc="
Hymn sample with guitar chords, intro, chorus & multiple verses

"

}

intro = \notes\relative c'' { g4 a b c }
introchords = \chords { g2 c2 }
introwords = \lyrics { _ _ _ _ }
chorus = \notes\relative c'' { d4 c b a }
choruschords = \chords { d2 g2 }
choruswords = \lyrics { a nice chor -- us }
verse = \notes\relative c'' { g4 b a g }
versechords = \chords { g2 d2 }
vonewords = \lyrics { the verse one words }
vtwowords = \lyrics { words for verse two }
vthreewords = \lyrics { some more third words }
\score {
    <<
 \context ChordNames { \introchords \choruschords \versechords }
 \addlyrics
 \context Staff = one { \intro \chorus \verse }
 \context Lyrics \lyrics { \introwords \choruswords
 \repeat fold 3 { }
 \alternative {
  { \vonewords }
  { \vtwowords }
  { \vthreewords }

    \paper{ raggedright = ##t }
}

{Original question}
I have a hymn that I wish to reproduce with all verses under the melody and
guitar chords above. The problem is that the hymn starts with an introduction,
so no lyrics there, only guitar chords. Then there is the chorus which has one
lyric line, melody and guitar chords, Finaly the four verses themselves.

Can anybody tell me how to construct the \score to achieve the layout described
above. that is, introduction (no lyrics), chorus (one lyric line), and then
verses (4 lyric lines).

Thanks

Keith Dunsire