Re: Slight spanner problem

From: Doug Asherman
Subject: Re: Slight spanner problem
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 16:46:36 -0700

Erik Sandberg wrote:
On Saturday 08 May 2004 23.39, Doug Asherman wrote:

I'm not quite sure how to describe this: if it's not clear, please let
me know.

Also, when I'm compiling the source, I get:
"programming error: round filled box vertical extent smaller than blot;
decreasing blot"

This certainly sounds like a bug, when Lilypond spits out such messages it means that _something_ is wrong internally.

Could you send a piece of music that demonstrates this? (fairly small examples are appreciated, but big examples are ok too if you don't know how to isolate it)

Sure. I've changed one of the examples from the "Tips & Tricks" section of the manual to display this behavior. It's appended at the end of this message.

At first I thought I was misunderstanding the \skip directive, but now I think that isn't necessarily so (though I certainly could be using it wrongly elsewhere :-)).

Here's the example.

I'm using Lilypond 2.2.1.

\version "2.2.0"
\paper {
    linewidth = 160 \mm
  \context {
    \LyricsContext \consists "Bar_engraver"
    \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t
\renameinput "lyrics-skip-notes.ly"

\header
{
  title = "Skip The Dog"
}

% shorthand for Skip Lyric
sl = \notes { \skip 2 }

\version "2.2.0"
\score {
  <<
  \context Voice = "A"  \notes  {c2 c c c}
  \lyricsto "A" \context Lyrics=A \lyrics { foo __ \sl \sl bar }
  \lyricsto "A" \context Lyrics=B \lyrics { foo -- \sl baz bar }
  \lyricsto "A" \context Lyrics=C \lyrics { foo -- baz -- baaz bar }