Re: height of tempo and slurs

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: height of tempo and slurs
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 16:30:14 +0200

Ulrich Vollert wrote:
Hi,

I entered my first piece of music with Lilypond....and I am really
impressed.

After trying several other notation software I feel real happy with
Lilypond.
Thanks to all authors for developing such a nice piece of software!

I have a newbie question: in the attached scores the accent on the
first g has a collision with the tempo text, and the slurs in measure
3 and 7 hit the b sign.

How can I adjust the tempo text and the slurs (i. e. put them
higher)?

First of all, I don't think you want a slur between the pairs of
g8 and g2., I think you want a tie (i.e. you want the note to be
tied over, so it's played as a single note). In that case, replace
all the
g8->(
g2.)

with

g8-> ~
g2.

It's also a good habit to include bar checks in the code, i.e. to insert
a | at the end of each bar. This makes it much easier to find input
errors. Also, include a line
\version "2.2.0"
at the beginning of the file. Sooner or later you will upgrade to some
newer version of LilyPond and this declaration helps you automate the
upgrading.

Back to your questions, it's popular today to ask about moving
tempo indications, see my reply to
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-05/msg00071.html
which should appear in the mailing list archives any minute.

For the slurs, you have probably already solved most of the problem
if you use ties for the tied over notes. For the rest, you could take
a look at the following example in the
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#slur-staccato.ly
Regression Test document which is an invaluable source of examples,
together with the Tips and Tricks document.

   /Mats