Re: placement of rehearsal marks and more

From: chip
Subject: Re: placement of rehearsal marks and more
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:45:34 -0700

Thanks Mats, I've made some responses included below...

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
Please tell what LilyPond version you are using.
 From the syntax, it looks like you have 2.0, but
I cannot repeat all the phenomena you describe when
I try with version 2.0.1.

v2.0.2

I attach a version that works with 2.0.1. It's clearly much
easier to answer a question when you have some example to
start with.

I used your corrected version and it works fine. You'll find my now newest version below.

chip wrote:
<snip>
The problems are:
1. Adding a 'grand pause' to the top line of the staff - is this the caesura I found in the feta font section of the handbook?

Depends on what you want. See
http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/appendix/marks/pausemarks/pausemarks.html
for an overview of different options. If you want a caesura, I recommend
to use the \breathe function and redefine it to print the caesura
instead of the normal comma. See
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#breathing-sign.ly

I've never heard the term caesura, only grand pause. Most of my experience is other styles besides classical.

for an example of how to do that. Since you may want to use \breathe
the same way in the full score, I changed the default layout in the
\paper section (so it applies to the full score. For the same reason,
I moved the setting of skipBars to the \paper section).

Very good, I didn't know about using two \paper sections, and it appears that fact that it is at the end makes no differance. So, looks like the skipBars property applies to all multimeasure rests when it is used in the \paper section. I like that, helps clean up the code a bit.

2. Adding a segno to the bar line just after the 'grand pause'

The principle is very simple, if you want to attach anything to a bar
line, use \mark "text" or \mark \markup{ "markup" }, if you want to
attach it to a note, use c4^"text" or c4^\markup{ "markup" }.
In this case, you want to attach it to a bar line, so use
\mark \markup {\musicglyph #"scripts-segno"}

Cool, I added this line
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'padding = #6
between \breathe and \mark -
f''2 \breathe \mark \markup {\musicglyph #"scripts-segno"} \bar "||"
and it works.
I did that becuase the two were very close to each other, nearly touching each other.

3. Adding "DS Al Coda" and the segno sign to the double bar after the 44 measure rest.

Again, you want to attach it to a bar line, so you should use \mark ...

Will it automatically attach to the closest bar line, either to the left or right? This is a point I'm a bit confused on - in my piece I have this section -
---------
R2. \bar "||"
% Make the rest somewhat longer:
\once \property Score.MultiMeasureRest \override #'minimum-length = #20
% Below instead of above:
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'direction = #down
% Left aligned on the bar line:
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'self-alignment-X = #left
%\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'padding = #2
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(10 . -1)
<<R2.* 44 s4 \mark "DS Al Coda" >>
% You probably want to polish the following using \raise and possibly
% \small, before it looks really neat:
%\mark \markup {"DS " \musicglyph #"scripts-segno" " Al " \musicglyph #"scripts-coda" }
\bar "||"
% Attach the coda sign to a spacing note:
<< R2.* 34 \once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(-5 . 3) s4^\coda >>
---------
Which has some text bits added but they are attached to skipnotes.
So you see how I don't understand the part about attaching to a bar line? I must be missing something here.

Then there is this bit near the beginning -
-------------
f''4 e''8[ d''] bflat'[ c'']
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'self-alignment-X = #left
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(-2 . 2)
\mark \markup "In time" \bar "||"
-------------
Is the \mark \markup attached to the c'' or to the automatically created bar line after it?

However, by default it will then be typeset above the score and centered
on the bar line. Here you probably want it below the score and left
aligned, so you can do
% Below instead of above:
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'direction = #down
% Left aligned on the bar line:
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'self-alignment-X = #left

This is interesting - just playing around a bit I changed left to right, and the text moved furthor to the left, I change it back to left and it moved back to the right. If I comment out the line it is centered.

<snip>
4. Adding a coda sign to the beginning of the 34 measure rest

Here, we see a technical limitation, namely that you cannot add two
rehearsal marks to the same bar line, especially not one on top and
one below. However, in this situation you probably want it above the
beginning of the rest instead of above the bar line.
Since you don't want it to replace the "34", You could include
a spacing note that is simultaneous as the rest and attach the coda
sign to that:
<< R2.* 34 s4^\coda >>

Makes sense. I added this -
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(-5 . 3)
<< R2.* 34 s4^\coda >>
to try to move the coda symbol a bit up and left, but it does not work. I think this would make the symbol a little more obvious. The people playing this music are playing on a fairly dark stage using stand lights, usually with spot lights flashing in our eyes, so they like this stuff to be obvious.

5. Padding some empty space between the to multimeasure rests to separate the main section from the coda section.

You can increase the length of the rests using
\once \property Score.MultiMeasureRest \override #'minimum-length = #15
You may even want to insert a line break: \break

The line now breaks between the bars where I want it to, after I fixed the problem below...

6. The line '\context Voice {\repeat "percent" 1 {...}}' near the bottom does not work as expected - a 'percent repeat' in each of the next two measures.

I discovered I have to set it to percent 3 to make two repeat bars after the bar to be repeated. I guess the number is the number of repeats plus the original bar(s)?

Why do you have the \context Voice?
The number in the \repeat statement specifies the total number the
section should be played. So, \repeat percent 1 {some music}  is
equivalent to {some music}. You probably want \repeat percent 2 {...}.
I don't get the result you describe with \repeat percent 1.

I used \context Voice because that's how it's shown in the manual in the section on percent repeats - quoted from the manual...
"
Measure repeats

In the percent style, a note pattern can be repeated. It is printed once, and then the pattern is replaced with a special sign. Patterns of a one and two measures are replaced by percent-like signs, patterns that divide the measure length are replaced by slashes:

      \context Voice { \repeat  "percent" 4  { c'4 }
         \repeat "percent" 2 { c'2 es'2 f'4 fis'4 g'4 c''4 }
     }
"
<snip>
You can use \mark to attach a text to the beginning of the piece.

Great, I didn't know I could do that without attaching it to something.

Some people use
\header{
  piece = "Mariachi"
}
instead.

I tried that but it collides with the text I have at the beginning of the piece. Many of the pieces we play have some bit of text there, most actually.

Example: When adding '\once \property Voice.TextScript...' does it go immediately before the note the text is attached to? Or somewhere before it? Or after it? This isn't clear from what I've seen in the manual, so I generally have put it a few notes before the note it is attached to.

It should clearly be before the note it applies to. I always write it
directly before the note it applies to, don't know what will happen
otherwise.

You've been very helpful, and patient, thanks, I appreciate that.
I've included the file as it is now. You'll notice a few minor changes I made to move some of the added text bits.
=============================
\header {
title = "El Sinaloense"
instrument = "Trumpet 1"
}
\include "english.ly"
\include "paper23.ly"
\paper{ papersize = "letter"
linewidth = 190 \mm
indent = 0 \mm
         }
\score
{
\notes
\transpose f g
{
\key f \major
\clef treble
\time 3/4
% Left aligned:
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'self-alignment-X = #left
% Move up a bit:
%\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'padding = #6
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(-5 . 15)
\mark \markup {\huge \bold Mariachi}
% Split the text into several lines to look nicer
\once \property Voice.TextScript \override #'extra-offset =#'(-5 . 2)
f''2.^\markup{ \column < "Vocal Intro, followed by" "Free Time Horn Intro" > }
\times 2/3 {f''8 f'' f''}
f''2 \breathe \once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'padding = #3 \mark \markup {\musicglyph #"scripts-segno"} \bar "||"
c''8[ d''] e''[ f''] ~ f''4 ~
f''4 e''8[ d''] bflat'[ c'']
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \set #'self-alignment-X = #left
\once \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'extra-offset =#'(-2 . 2)
\mark \markup "In time" \bar "||"
e''2.
r4 r8 f'' g'' a''
g''8. g''16 f''4 g''8 f''
e''8.[ d''16] e''8[ d''] c''8.[ e''16]
d''8[ c''] d''[ c''] bflat'[ a'] ~
\bar "|:" a'2 a'8 c''
f''8 a' c'' f'' g'' c''
f'' g'' c'' f'' g'' c''
e''8. f''16 e''8 d'' c'' bflat' \bar ":|"
a'4 c'' e''
a' c'' e''
a' c'' f''
a'' r2
[...]
e''8. e''16 ~ e''4 g''8. f''16
e''8. e''16 ~ e''4 g''8. f''16
e''8[ e''] e''[ e''] g''8.[ f''16]
e''2. ~
e''2. ~
e''2.
R2.* 6
\repeat "percent" 3 {f''8.[ f''16] f''8.[ f''16] f''8.[ f''16]}
\bar "|."
}
\paper{
  % Set some properties that should hold throughout the score:
  \translator{
    \ScoreContext
    BreathingSign \set #'text = #(make-musicglyph-markup "scripts-caesura")
    MultiMeasureRest \override #'expand-limit = #1
    skipBars = ##t