Re: Scandinavian letters in lyrics and text markup

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: Scandinavian letters in lyrics and text markup
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:39:44 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

>> I'm sure there are packages where not every package option can be
>> easily set by a separate command, but it's not necessary to
>> cope with those for the moment.
>
> Ok.  I've added to 2.2 CVS:
>
>       * scripts/lilypond.py: Handle --set=fontencoding=FONTENC
>       (default: unset) and --set=inputencoding=INPUTENC (default:
>       latin1).
>
> What do you think?  If it's OK, it should be documented too.
>
>>> What about inputencoding?  lilypond.py now sets latin1,
>>> that seems silly?
>>
>> No, otherwise you cannot use åäöüßø in the .ly file.
>
> Uh, yes, I meant: what about characters that are not in latin1 ?

This discussion is most interesting and very important.
Before I make an ass of myself, can somebody explain the
origin of

warning: can't find ascii character: 243

and similar messages from LilyPond?  I use straight latin1
encoding in my input files.

As a more on-topic note: the more similar the package syntax
is to LaTeX the better.  Generally it's not much use being
able to specify packages but not their options.  Even
parsing would be easier.  Actually, a block copied verbatim
into the latex header would obsolete more specialized
options.  For those who know LaTeX we should provide maximum
flexibility, for those who don't it doesn't really matter
what they copy from the manual.  Ok, I'm a zealot.
--
Feri.