Re: Bug and question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Bug and question
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:18:32 +0200

You can certainly have a \header block within a \score.
Possibly, you have managed to place a \notes declaration
that includes the \header block.

Take a look at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/input/test/out-www/collated-files.html#title.ly
for a working example (even though the titles don't show in the example
document, since it's included in a lilypond-book document).

   /Mats

William Brohinsky wrote:

Heyla! It's been a while.

First, the bug. This is either in the manual or in the
code, someone oughtta decide:

In order to build a 'partbook' for the Odhecaton
project, I tried the \header{} thing with title and
opus and all those things in the \header block at the
top of the file, and then an additional \header block
within each \score{} context. Result: many errors
saying that lyrics had to be in a lyrics context.
Desperation took me from the last stable through
2.1.38 (I think: the latest experimental/pre-release
for 2.2 available for cygwin), and the results were
all the same.

Finally, I tried this: I took the \header{} block out
of the \score{} block, and put it before for each
successive piece, and it worked. So either the manual
has to be changed to say: [begin change quote]
Normally, the \header is put at the top of the file.
However, for a document that contains multiple pieces
(e.g. an etude book, or an orchestral part with
multiple movements), the header can be put before the
\score block as follows; in this case, the name of
each
piece will be printed before each movement
    \header {
      title = "Eight miniatures"
      composer = "Igor Stravinsky"
      tagline = "small is beautiful"
    }
\header { piece = "Adagio" } \score { ...

    }
    \header { piece = "Menuetto" }
     \score { ...
}
[end change quote]

or the code needs to be modified so that a \header{}
block can live within a score context.

As a side note, all the piece= titles come off in
typewriter font, which I believe means I need to clean
the fonts up. Is there an automated command to do
this, or would someone privately email me with the
procedure so I can stick it somewhere I won't lose it
this time?

Now the question:
When I upgrade, I have to run convert-ly on my music
files. Because of difficulties with various things
(and admittedly, my brain might be part of the
problem) the \version numbers in my scores actually
represent the actual version I was using. In the case
of 1.8.6, this has lead to the following problem:
because there are no change rules between 1.7.72 (or
whatever the last rev of 1.7 was) and 1.9.0, no
recognition of my version number is made, and no
update is made.

Fortunately, I tend to use convert-ly in the following
fashion: convert-ly old.ly >new.ly
so I haven't lost anything (if indeed that would be
the result of inplace editing, which it probably
isn't. But I like to have some history of my work.)

I can fix the problem by looking into the sh script
contents of convert-ly and choosing a version, but in
cases where, for instance, << >> turned to < > and
then back to << >>, this can be a dangerous thing to
do if you're stupid. My capacity for stupidity is
probably legendary by now.

I wonder if convert-ly could be made a bit smarter, so
that it will seek the previous 'safe' version to
convert 'from'? Perhaps this would be as easy as
adding 1.8.0 to the list of rules, with a null rule or
some such? Then, at least, if convert-ly can't find
1.8.6, I
could run it with -f "1.8.0" and get a clean
conversion to the latest 8^) ?

raybro

ps, my initial email, from my subscribed address, was
rejected, or at least generated a message that looked
like a rejection. If this one is a duplicate, please
forgive me!