Re: issue regarding adding text markup

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: issue regarding adding text markup
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:01:45 +0200

Even if the general information in the new version of the
manual is easier to read, you still have to read the manual for
your version of LilyPond to get the correct syntax. For example,
\center-align was called \center in 2.0.x.

Then, you may have to insert spaces between the '<' and the first
word and similarly for the '>' at the end.

   /Mats

chip wrote:
Thanks Mats,
After reading that page I decided to try this -

R2. * 30^\markup {\bold \huge {30}} _\markup {\center-align <DC al coda> }

but it resulted in the running of lily on the file to fail on the \center-align bit. I then changed it to \right-align just for the fun of it, and ran lily and it ran fine. The resulting .pdf shows the text still centered, but now has an upside-down exclamation point in front DC and an upside-down queston mark after the word coda. I thought that was very interesting. Oh, btw, I am running version 2.0.2. I am now installing the port (freebsd) for the devel version 2.1.8. I'll see what kind of damage I can do with that. heh, heh :)

Regards,
Chip

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

If you read the corresponding part of the manual for the
development version,
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.1/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-markup.html
you will probably get a bit wiser.

To align the whole markup to the left, do
  \property Score.RehearsalMark \override #'self-alignment-X = #left
(I see in the mailing list archives that I noticed some problems
with this last time I answered the same question from you. Now I
tried it with the latest development version and it works excellently).

  /Mats

chip wrote:

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

chip wrote:

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

This is actually described in the manual, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Multi-measure-rests.html
You may want to use the \center or \column text markup commands to
print the number on its own line above or below the remaining text.
Alternatively, you could do something like
R2.*28^\markup{ 28 } _\markup {DC al coda }

  /Mats

So, does that mean I can stack up multiple markups on a single point? I gues I haven't seen that in the docs.

It's described at the bottom of the section on Text Markup,
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-markup.html

Thanks for pointing that out. I found more in the regression test docs also. But all that stuff makes the text centered under whatever it is attached to. I would like it moved to the left under a double bar.

I found this bit in the markup functions section

halign-markup
Argument types: number markup
Set horizontal alignment. Syntax: haling A MARKUP. A=-1 is LEFT, A=1 is right, values in between vary alignment accordingly.

Is there an example of just how to use this? Would this be what I need to move the text so it is not centered under the mm rest, but rather centered under the double bar line?

R2. * 30^\markup {\bold \huge {30}} _\markup {DC al coda} \bar "||"

After all, that is what I am trying to do. When I add some code for the extra offset -

\property Voice.TextScript \override #'extra-offset =#'( x . x)

that only effects the first bit of markup (which is placed where I want it), not the second (the text to be moved to the right). I tried to add the extra-offset stuff into the line of code just before the _\markup but that just causes errors. It appears I cannot add anything in between the two _\markups, is this correct? It also appears I cannot attach the \markup text the double bar line.
Thanks for the tips so far,
Chip

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing