Re: Chord Names set at different heights?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Chord Names set at different heights?
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:58:20 +0200

Walter Hofmeister wrote:
On 3/19/04 10:13 PM, "Walter Hofmeister" <address@hidden> wrote:

On 3/19/04 1:15 AM, "Edward Sanford Sutton, III" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thursday March 18 2004 20:57, Walter Hofmeister wrote:

On 3/18/04 11:23 AM, "Bertalan Fodor" <address@hidden> wrote:

I think the question is to achieve something like this:

C     F  -o- -o-  C
------------------------
----o-o--------------o--
------------------o-----
o-o---------------------
------------------------

If you have a high note (or some lyrics for only some notes above the
staff) the whole line of chords is shifted up to be in one line, like
this:

C     F   G       C
       hel-lo
      -o- -o-
------------------------
----o-o--------------o--
------------------o-----
o-o---------------------
------------------------

Actually, I want them all in a line like example 2. If the notes are above
the staff, more clearance is required so that the chord names do not
collide with the notes. To accomplish this it is necessary to increase the
height of the chord names. But if on another line the notes are not so high
on the staff, the higher chord names will look odd because now there is a
lot of clearance between the staff and the chord names.

C       F  G       C
         -o- -o-
---------------------------
------o-o------------------
------------------o-o------
--o-o----------------------
---------------------------

This is OK.

C       F  G       C

---------------------------
---------o-----------------
-----o-----o--------o------
---o---o------o---o--------
-o--------------o----------

This looks odd.

My question is: is there a way so that the first example can get the extra
clearance needed but also can the chord names in the second example be set
lower or closer to the staff? I am assuming that both these settings are in
the same .ly file.

Staff.minimumVerticalExtent (as Mats Bengtsson stated) should be the
adjustment that you care to play with. LilyPond by default does the following
like you want; Staff.minimumVerticalExtent lets you control how much space it
makes for the chords to begin with.

Hi Edward,
 I have played with Staff.minimumVerticalExtent and it seems to change
the height of the chord names for the whole file. Even when I have several
places in the source file where I set \set Staff.minimumVerticalExtent =
#'(-6 . 6) or other settings, the largest amount of space is always the one
that gets used. If you or anyone else are aware of a way to set this to
different amounts for different systems I would be interested in knowing
how.

Walter

I checked my output again and it appears that the chord name heights do
vary. Sorry for the trouble. It does seem that in my example the top voice
on the staff has the stems pointing up and when there is a beam, the chord
names do almost touch the beams. Please see my original post as this did
contain the .ly file pasted into it.

Then, you could either increase the minimalVerticalExtent of the
ChordNames context (by default, no extra spacing is added below the
chord names) or by adding some extraVerticalExtent to the Staff context,
I think the name is pretty self explanatory.

   /Mats