Re: Nested slurs, was: Percussion

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Nested slurs, was: Percussion
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:43:49 -0500

On Wednesday 17 March 2004 08:38, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
> > On Tuesday March 16 2004 10:45, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> >>A single grace notes without a slur but with a slash is trivial to
> >>obtain, see
> >>http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-02/msg00122.htm
> >
> > Is there a doc somewhere that would have told me that a grace note
> > with a slur has to go under a phrasing slur since it breaks a
> > normal slur?
>
> ??? The following example works fine, at least with 2.1.30:
>   c4 ( \appoggiatura e8 d4 e f ) |
>
> I guess the problem appears if you want another slur to end at the
> main note after the appoggiatura/acciaccatura.
>
> I was actually surprised myself to notice that slurs indeed can be
> nested in LilyPond of neither the start nor the end point coincide.
> Last time this was discussed on the list (more than a year ago), I
> think the conclusion was that it doesn't make sense, musically, to
> have nested slurs, except when you have a normal slur under a
> phrasing slur. That's why the phrasing slurs were introduced.
> Just as you, I cannot find this documented anywhere in the manual.
> For a violin player like me, a normal slur means "play these notes
> in the same bow", so it doesn't make sense to allow for slured grace
> notes under a normal slur and the current "limitation" to only allow
> for two levels of slurs (normal and phrasing) is OK.

Find a grace note that is not slurred.  The slur mark for a grace note
usually means nothing, but it serves to make the grace note more
noticeable, so it is always a good thing.  I just can't comprehend why
slur marks are not on grace notes by default.  They were often used in
1853, and it is clear that there was no difference in meaning between
grace notes with and without slur marks.

Furthermore, the slur can be used to indicate that grace note time comes
from a preceding note instead of the following note, as in the not
uncommon turn, when written out, between a dotted 16th and a 32nd, for
example.  People should not have to struggle through multiple entries
in the manual to do that.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing