Re: Lilypond and other LaTeX distribution on Win32

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond and other LaTeX distribution on Win32
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:29:56 +0100

A long time ago, the Windows version of LilyPond did use
MikTeX to process the generated TeX files. However, this led
to lots of problems, setting environment variables to make MikTeX
find all the necessary include files and fonts for LilyPond.
Currently, we use the teTeX distribution within the cygwin
environment, which means a huge simplification in supporting
the Windows version of LilyPond. Unfortunately, you have found
the backside of our current solution.

In fact, the problem you describe is not the main problem, since
even if you manage to produce an output file from lilypond-book,
you will not be able to use it from MikTeX.

However, the teTeX distribution has almost the same capabilities
as MikTeX, so I propose to use that instead. At the moment, you
just have a minimal subset of teTeX installed (the tetex-tiny
package), so rerun setup.exe once more and select the
tetex-base package. This will, among others, include the
scrartcl.cls. If you are used to call the MikTeX programs
from within winedt or so, you may find it inconvenient to
open a cygwin command window and run the commands from there,
but otherwise it should work just as well. If you want to view
the .dvi files, install also the tetex-x11 package (which should
also select a number of Xfree86-* packages) and use xdvi instead
of yap.

In theory, it should be possible to teach MikTeX how to find all the
necessary files, but I'm afraid that's a much trickier solution.

   /Mats

Christian Datzko wrote:
Whoever this reads,

I want to use Lilypond to include some music notes into my examination paper. Until now I used MiKTeX and want to continue to do so. I mailed with someone who wrote this:

All that lilypond-book does is go through your input file and run LilyPond on the musical bits in the file and creates a new *.tex (or maybe *.latex)
file for you to run.  I think that it simply replaces the LilyPond code
with TeX/LaTeX code which produces the printed music.  I would think that
you could then use whatever non-standard package to handle the rest of the
typesetting.

...I thought the same thing, but instead it gives me this output:

$ lilypond-book -V examen.lytex
lilypond-book (GNU LilyPond) 2.0.1
Opening pipe `kpsexpand \$TEXMF'
Opening pipe `kpsewhich -expand-path=\$T1FONTS'
Reading `/home/Christian Datzko/Examensarbeit/examen.lytex'
Invoking `(( latex '\nonstopmode \input lily-tmp.tex' >&2 ) >&- )'This is TeXk,
 Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>
Babel <v3.7h> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german, ngerman, n
ohyphenation, loaded.

(./lily-tmp.tex

! LaTeX Error: File `scrartcl.cls' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)

Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.2 ^^M

No pages of output.
Transcript written on lily-tmp.log.
lilypond-book: warning: `latex' failed (status 1) (ignored)

lilypond-book: error: LaTeX failed.
lilypond-book: error: The error log is as follows:
This is TeXk, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.4.5) (format=latex 2004.3.16) 17 MAR 200
4 16:56
 %&-line parsing enabled.
**\nonstopmode \input lily-tmp.tex
(./lily-tmp.tex

! LaTeX Error: File `scrartcl.cls' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: cls)
  ... (further messages elided)...

Christian address@hidden ~/Examensarbeit
$

He couldn't help anymore so he sent me here. It seems to try to start Latex by itself. Do you know if I can stop lilypond-book from doing so?

Christian.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems