Re: [OT] Re: question: volta + dynamics

From: Roland Goretzki
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: question: volta + dynamics
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 16:51:43 +0100

Hello list, hello Kili,

You wrote:
> I'v even seen a piano sheet with a crescendo on a single half note chord,
> at tempo allegretto.
>
> Technically, that's of course complete nonsense.

This is not quite correct:
The speciality at good piano playing is not the real sound in the air,
but the sound, which the recipient hears in his mind.

If I'd try to make "this nonsense" become reality, I wouldn't try
to move my finger in a special way and then BELIEVE, that it sounds
correct, but I'd move the finger, AS IF a crescendo with one note on the
piano WOULD BE POSSIBLE.

The real piano masters do so, and the result is, that the recipient in
his mind hears one note on the piano making a crescendo.

Yes, it is a psychological phenomen, but:
It is the "magic" of really good piano playing. :)

(One of the greatest masters of that was Vladimir Horowitz, whom I could
hear in 1986, and I was astonished to hear live, what I before could
hear on a "Schallplatte" [what is the english word?] in the "Träumerei"
of Robert Schumann's "Kinderszenen": A long note, which made a crescendo
after a while! Until this live-concert I thougt, it would have been an
acoustic tric at the recording.)

After this concert I tried to do the same, and in deed, it was possible,
but for me only a little bit. :-( ;-)

> However, it may be that the composer (unfortunately I dont' remember
> where I'v seen that strange crescendo) wanted to explain the intention
> of the music.

I would say, this is the correct explanation, but not the following:

> "I'd love to have a crescendo here, but unfortunately that's
> impossible on a piano."

> On the other hand, the engraver that did that sheet may have been a
> little bit stoned :-)

Well, I don't think so ...

> BTW: the other direction (from f subito to p) *is* possible on piano
> with sophisticated pedalling/damping. [I wish I had *that* skills]

Please, what is "skills"? (I'm from Germany.)

> --
> Der audiophile High-Ender hört nicht die Musik, er hört die Anlage.

Oh, pardon, You are from a german speaking country, too? :)

Regards                         Roland

--
Vom Wissen nicht wissen, ist Höchstes, vom Nichtwissen wissen, ist Leiden:
Doch nur, wer an diesem Leiden leidet, der leidet darum nicht.