Re: Bar numbers missing if page doesn't start on bar boundary

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Bar numbers missing if page doesn't start on bar boundary
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:25:01 -0500

On Monday 08 March 2004 06:43, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> As a musician, I would find if very confusing if a bar number was
> printed in the middle of a bar. Imagine an orchestra rehearsal, where
> the conductor says a bar number and half the orchestra starts a half
> bar off, since they don't realize that half the bar is printed at the
> bottom of the previous page. One possibility, as you saym would be to
> print the bar number at the first full bar of each line, but this is
> a bit tricky to implement in LilyPond today.
>
> In general, it's a bad idea to split bars across lines but sometimes
> there is no better solution.

Often.  You are splitting a measure whenever you use \partial.

See http://www.openguitar.com/files/tengtr.pdf
p6 sec 2.4 Lorelei Waltz.  The "in general" doesn't really apply
to many situations where there are double bars or volte in the
middle of a measure, and those are very common indeed.  This is
a bug of *very* long standing....   daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing