Re: ess-tset again

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: ess-tset again
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:14:29 -0500

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 02:34, Thomas Scharkowski wrote:
> According to "Duden Rechtschreibung 1961 an 1998"):
>
> "hei - ßen"
>
> Thomas
> Bochum
> Germany
>
> > På tirsdag, 2. mars 2004, kl. 11:07, skrev David Bobroff:
> >> In this instance the word is "heissen" (with ess-tset, of course).
> >> Should it be "heiss - en" or "hei - ssen"?  Or does the ess-tset
> >> get broken up thusly: "heis - sen"?  I know just enough about
> >> German to be completely unsure.
> >
> > I have just completed some songs for a German composer, and he sais
> > that ess-tset (ß) shall be broken s-s ("heis-sen").
> >
> > /Oddmund

I want to point out that the ess-tset is two esses.  Writing by hand,
one could easily use transitional forms, by using a long ess, which
looks like an eff without a horizontal line, followed by an ess.  They
can be joined as ti, fi, st, and other such combinations can be, and you
have a primitive ess-tset.  I have done that writing Italian with
Italic.  It used to be done in English, also.  It is a typographical or
writing issue rather than a language or grammatical issue, so no one can
say you are wrong however you choose to do it.

I don't want to get into whether the ess-tset is a new letter or just a
short cut or simply more decorative.  It just doesn't matter enough to
anyone but a newspaper publisher.  They are the ones who worry about
"right writing", because they need a consistent style.  The *grammar* is
ok regardless.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing