Re: heiße n Was: Re: ess-tset again

From: Christoph Ludwig
Subject: Re: heiße n Was: Re: ess-tset again
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 10:02:03 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 06:06:51AM +0100, Roland Goretzki wrote:
> > I have just completed some songs for a German composer, and he sais
> > that ess-tset (ß) shall be broken s-s ("heis-sen").
>
> AFAIK this is correct, but only for songs. In this case I do the same.
> (In songs it is no linebreak, but each syllable is fixed to each note.)
>
> But I don't know, in which way it is handled in the so called "neue
> Rechtschreibung" (what does it mean in English, I don't know ...?)

I couldn't find any special rules for the typesetting of songs.
The 21st edition of the Duden gives the following rules (corresponding
to the new orthography):

 - The ess-tset is usually treated like any other consonant.
   An example similar to "heißen" is given in rule 129, 2nd
   bullet: rei- ßen
   Accordingly, it should be "hei- ßen".

 - But there's an special exemption in rule 130, 2nd bullet: If "ss"
   is used as an replacement for "ß" (the official rules allow this in
   §25, section E2, e.g., when using a typewriter without a ß-Key),
   then "ss" is treated as two consonants. The Duden actually gives
   the example "heis- sen".

Conclusion: If you write "ß" at all, then "hei- ßen" is
orthograpically correct. But if you don't have an ess-tset on your
keyboard, then it's still correct to replace "ß" by "ss" and to
syllabify "heissen" as "heis- sen".

Regards

Christoph
--