emacs, ess-tset, tabbing, my solution

From: David Bobroff
Subject: emacs, ess-tset, tabbing, my solution
Date: 03 Mar 2004 17:11:37 +0000

Thanks all for the input on my ess-tset troubles.  Here is my solution:

\usepackage[german]{babel}

This allows easy input of umlauted vowel with \"x (where x is a vowel).

It produces an ess-tset with \"s  in \markup{texts}

Since \"s produces an s-umlaut in lyrics  I've added these lines to the
script I use to process my *.lytex file:

for file in *.tex
do
sed -i 's|\\"s|"s|g' *.tex;
done

The \"s in \markup{texts} are already converted to "s by lilypond-book
so they are not affected.

In lyrics I make sure to escape all of the " with \ as it still works
that way and preserves the indenting in emacs.

Why I didn't use a different solution:

Inputting an ess-tset directly is inconvenient (Alt-Gr + s just makes
's' for me, so it's cut/paste) and with [german] produces exactly
nothing.

In lyrics mode I can escape the " or not (but I must use it with 's').
However, if I leave out the \ then the auto indenting stops working at
that point in the file.  If I use the escape character I retain the
indenting but some of the text afterwards gets the wrong color.  I've
decided to tolerate the wrong colors.

This leaves me with a consistent input syntax for the German characters
in both text markup and lyrics.

As for the hyphenation:

> According to "Duden Rechtschreibung 1961 an 1998"):
>
> "hei - ßen"

I finally thought to actually look in the score I'm working from and it
matches this, so I'll do it this way.  I'm also working from a part and
I have to remind myself that the ultimate authority is, of course, the
score.

-David