Content-type restrictions

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Content-type restrictions
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 16:52:13 +0100

Hi,

Yesterday we tried having the mailing list software (Mailman 2.1.2)
reject mail with application/octet-stream attachments.  The Mailman
user interface is a bit vague; it turned out that the virus mails
still get to the mailing lists, with attachments stripped.  This is
perhaps a worse situation: virus mails are smaller now, but cannot
easily be detected and filtered anymore.

As a more draconian measure we have decided to restrict email to
simple text/plain (or text/html).  Emails that have mutipart/mixed are
rejected until further notice.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greetings,

Jan.