Re: globals and grace notes and sly.py is up

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: globals and grace notes and sly.py is up
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:32:42 -0500

On Monday 01 March 2004 18:52, Paul Scott wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
> >On Sunday 29 February 2004 23:06, Paul Scott wrote:
> >>Using globals helps me save a lot of typing and makes time and
> >>measure number mistakes far less likely.  Is there a way I can
> >>eliminate the extraneous 4/4 and extra bar line at the end of this
> >>example?
> >>
> >>TIA,
> >>
> >>Paul Scott
> >
> >I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the 2/4, but I got the
> >extra bar with a sneaky trick using \partial:
> >
> >\score{
> >    \context Staff <<
> >     \context Voice { \notes %\time 2/4
> >                \partial 2 \skip 2*3 }
> >     \context Voice { \notes \relative c {
> >             \time 2/4
> >             \repeat volta 2 { \acciaccatura{ fis16[ gis ais] }
> >                               b8 r r4 }
> >             \repeat volta 2 { \grace{ fis16[( gis ais] }
> >                               b8) r r4 }
> >             \repeat volta 2 { \appoggiatura{ fis16[( gis ais] }
> >                               b8) r r4 }
> >
> >         }
> >     }
> >
> >}
>
> Thanks, Dave.
>
> With 2.1.28 your version *does* solve the 2/4 problem.

I meant the problem that your global doesn't work right.  There is a
bug.
It's supposed to work.  I failed to find a workaround.  \partial is a
workaround of a bug.

> removes the \time statement from the definition that I want to be my
> global. These globals are so that I don't have to type anything for
> each part which could be typed once for the whole composition.  So
> far grace notes are the only thing that wreck my scheme which is what
> this test was about.
>
> Here's a new example which takes a previous grace type operation to
> get another one to recognize a slur.
>
> I'm still trying to find someone who has an answer to placing
> structure in one place so that it doesn't have to be typed more than
> once and can be seen better.  Does sly help in this?

To be typed in more than one place, no.  To be seen better, sure,
because you can have all of your simultaneous measures visible in your
editor at once.  That certainly makes it easier to type this stuff which
you shouldn't have to type into each part.  You need to submit two bug
reports, I think.  I have used a global part in the past for the same
purpose as you are doing and I hope to continue doing so.  If you are
missing something, I am missing it too.

Sly.py is up.  It's been tested pretty well, but if you have a bad
experience let me know, please.

I've had good luck with doing things backwards, add-ons first, so I will
create a program that puts a sly file together from parts before I
finish the editing features of sly.  That will be useful in it's own
right.  daveA

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing