Re: (possible) doc spelling corrections

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: (possible) doc spelling corrections
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:41:57 -0500

On Friday 27 February 2004 02:14, Edward Sanford Sutton, III wrote:
>   Patch should be pasted at the end of the email. Please read them
> all and decide which should be implemented as appropriate. Also let
> me know if any problems result from my work; I think I kept it all in
> tact for how the file formats go. Feedback appreciated.
>
>   'crosslinked' should either be 'cross-linked' or 'cross linked';
> patch changes is 'cross linked'.
>   Windows program NotePad should be Notepad (unless perhaps a
> different program called Note'P'ad was being mentioned instead of
> Note'pad', or if it has changed sometime before or after
> windows98se).  Patch includes change. Is 'octavation' a word? I
> understand what it should mean, but I haven't seen it outside of
> lilypond. No patch submitted.
>   Is 'prepending' a word, I'll check more sources, but cannot seem to
> find a reference to it.

Using a commonly understood prefix should not be a problem.  There
is nothing wrong with "prepended".

>   (de)crescendi could also be spelled (de)crescendos. Spellcheckers
> often think the 'i' was s typo for 'o', so I saw this. No patch
> submitted as either way is correct by what I know.

There should be no problem with Italian plurals of Italian words in a
document about music, actually it's a good idea IMHO, because you might
use the Italian *in* the music.

>   Should 'upstep' be 'up step'?

No, it should be 'step upward' or 'upward step'.

>   'barlines' should be 'bar lines'. Patch includes changes.

You're right, sort of.  "Barlines" is in pretty common use, mainly
because it should be "bars" rather than "bar lines".  The problem
has arisen because many people refer to measures casually as bars.
If it's clear, use "bars".

>   'keysignature' should be 'key signature'. Patch includes change.
>   'linebreaks' should be 'line breaks'
>   Should 'wildcards' be 'wild cards'? Not patched.
>   Should 'autobeamer' be 'auto beamer'? 1 occurrence.

Here the developers are coining a word, which is often a good idea, and
since they define it, they certainly should spell it however they like.
Also, "auto" is a prefix, not a word, unless it is short for
"automobile".  So I suppose an "auto beamer" would be a BMW.  ;-)

It's 'wild cards' in a poker game, but should it be in computerese?

> Patch included.
>   'behaviour' changed to 'behavior'; localization would make a
> difference here as to which should be used if 'behaviour' is used in
> some countries as a word like I think it is.
>   'cancelled' changed to 'canceled'. If this fix is specifically not
> preferred, let me know;

I believe that, like traveller and behaviour, it's British spelling.

> I guess some people use cancelled, but I've
> found most documentation explaining usage of cancelled to cross over
> and begin just saying it as canceled. Now that I made several
> changes, I wonder if it is a time related choice. Maybe I switch
> between them. Numerous (but probably not all) patches. Should they be
> implemented?
>   'multivoice' changed to 'multi voice'.

 No.  "multi" is a prefix, not a word, so it's either multi-voiced or
multivoiced.

--
It's not that hard to understand the lesson of Viet Nam.  Never never
never never defend one tyrant against another, because The worst thing