Re: musica ficta, or how to put small accidentals on top of the notes

From: Nancho Alvarez
Subject: Re: musica ficta, or how to put small accidentals on top of the notes
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:42:58 +0100

What LilyPond version do you use? As can be seen at the link given
above, it works in version 2.0.2 at least. If you compare the
accidental of the third beat with the parenthesized accidental of the
fourth beat, it's clearly smaller.

I can see the difference of sizes in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#accidental-cautionary.ly But when I compile the example with lilypond 2.1.25 there is no difference. The parentheses are rendered correctly, but the third note has
a sharp the same size than normal.

Maybe it has it something to do with convert-ly?
this is the line actually compiled
\override Staff.Accidental   #'cautionary-style = #'smaller
I dont think so because
\override Staff.Accidental   #'cautionary-style = #'parentheses
works fine.

By the way, I think that I have discovered an undocumented feature:
putting two interrogation marks after a note, makes the alteration invisible:
cis??  no sharp rendered
cis??? rendered
cis???? not rendered
the same with the admiration marks !!
(I cannot test here if the accidental goes to the MIDI file or not)

Greetings
                           NANCHO