Feature request: Melisma

From: TS Sunhede Fulk
Subject: Feature request: Melisma
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 07:25:58 +0100

Hey,

I'm using 2.01 (Mac OS X) and really like the program. However, one thing bugs me to death: melismata.

Before my ancient Powerbook died, I used Opcode's Fermata to typeset music. It handled a melisma by having you attach an underscore after the lyric syllable for every note that the melisma spanned.

Example: Hel_ lo_____ ("Hel" spans one extra note. "Lo" spans 5 extra notes.)

This made note and lyric line up a breeze.

If you could PLEASE add a scheme as simple as this to Lilypond, I would be very grateful. Ninety-nine percent of the music I typeset has multiple verses, and the verses have melismata on different notes (which makes all of your schemes a pain in the butt).

Maybe you have an easier way to do them, but I have not seen anything in the docs.

TS Sunhede Fulk