Re: ugly slur

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: ugly slur
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:53:59 +0100

This is certainly an example where the default layout from LilyPond
looks fairly ugly, I send a copy of this email to address@hidden
In fact, this example will look much better if you use \slurDown to
force the slur below the notes.

In general if you have collisions with dynamics, rehearsal marks or
fingerings, for example, I mostly prefer to move those instead of the
slur. The magic property to use then is called 'padding' and you will
find lots of examples of how to apply it if you search the mailing list
archives.

   /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Regarding my request for the tutorial on slurs, the following code

\include "paper23.ly"

\paper  {
  linewidth = 455.244096\pt

\score {
    \notes
    \new Staff {
    \time 3/4
     \relative c'' {
d8-5( \f c b c a b c b a b g a b d c b a g a-2 g-1 fis-3 e d4) }
                    }
  \paper { }
        }

produces a slur which crosses over the fingering marks (see enclosed file
clashing-
slur.pdf). And I would like to move a little down the left tip and a little up
the right tip.

Thanks again for your help.