Re: chord/tie/voicing help

From: Ray McKinney
Subject: Re: chord/tie/voicing help
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:48:43 -0800 (PST)

--- Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since the g is the only common note between the two chords, LilyPond
> will automatically give you the desired tie if you have
> <f' g'>4 ~ <g' e' c'>2
> for example.

I knew this, really I did! I was just making things harder for myself than I
should have. The voice label suggestion you gave me is good advice, and in
future projects I know it will be important for me to remember.

To satisfy Dave's curiosity - yes, I did leave out a quite a bit of
information. I tried to show graphically what I had in mind with a bare bones
example. In reality, this is part of piano accompaniment for voice. The F in my
simple example (and the A-flat in this new one) really is part of the lower
"voice", but for piano makes more sense sharing a stem with the note a whole
step above.

I hope that explains it, and for completeness, here how my finished (well,
almost finished - I think I'll tinker with that slur a bit) 2 measures look.
I've attached a small PNG file and here is part of the code (with english.ly
and no relative):
<< {eflat''8([ d'' c'' bflat'] <bflat' aflat'>4~ <bflat' g' eflat' bflat>2.) }
\\ {<g' eflat'>4 <g' d'> d' s2. }>>

Thank you for your help and bonk on my head.
Ray