Re: constructive criticism

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:05:07 -0500

[John Williams]
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > Why not edit the texinfo source directly, and send a patch?

> You are asking the users to learn texinfo, diff and patch before they
> can help you.  And as someone else pointed out, if they install a prebuilt
> version, they don't even have the texinfo source.

I do not know if this may be organised, but what about pairing people:
one being good for documentation itself, with one being good with
technicalities like Texinfo, diff and patch.  The second would translate
the work of the first for easing integration in the distribution.  (I'm
not volunteering as either in these times, however.)

> (Personally, gnu info is the only thing that has ever made me want to run
> screaming back to windows, but maybe that's just the user-interface.)

I never understood what people find difficult in a user interface which
uses SPC to page forward, BKS to page backward, and asks the user to
remember the first letter of the words Up, Next and Previous.  Do these
people starve for using the mouse to the point they cannot stand the
sight of a keyboard?  Lilypond is dooming them to quite a hard time! :-)