Re: constructive criticism

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:00:14 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> I'm not convinced! Since the curly braces are used for so many
> different purposes, I think it's much harder to detect the '}'
> that ends a certain set of property settings than to find the
> \revert command. If you think the setting and reverting involves
> too much typing, just declare some identifiers to use as short-cuts.

Come to think of it, this form of \with is superfluous. It is possible
to write it with something like

 \apply #(nest-props '((Stem thickness 4) (Slur transparent #t)))
   { .. }

where nest-props takes care of pre- and appending the appropriate
settings.

In the meantime, I've come up with a more logical syntax.  We can
change current

  \translator Staff = up

  \switch Staff = up

and then we use

  \translator Staff = up {
     \consists ".."
     Stem \override #'thickness = #4
     Slur \override #'transparent = ##t
  } ..music..

this more consistent with the current sytnax within the \paper block,
and it also fixes the stupid syntax for staff switches.