Re: constructive criticism

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: constructive criticism
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:10:19 +0200

First of all I agree that add work for the maintainer of lilypond is in the long run a very bad idea. Making Hans fiddle with the docs means less improvement to the program that said.

There are many levels to improving the docs. Some issues are infact really bugs: The doc says do x but it does acheive the results stated.

Then there are other issues:
Is that particular item understandable?
What about the structure of that entry, maybe it could be more understandable if written differently. There is also the issue of making a cleaner seperation between the hacking issues and the more straight forward howto issues.

I have often clicked a link to find more about a subject instead of infact finding more about that subject I find scheme stuff.

These issues are not exactly bugs but style issues and matters of opinion, ie a programmer will think that more information about tremolos should be the scheme stuff, and a nonprogrammer would hope for more examples or different types of tremolos.

Getting all of the list involved in the documention is in the long run a time saving issue for everyone because there is a connection between the quality of the docs and the usability of Lilypond.

A bug should reported as a bug, that is obvious.

I feel that the users are the ones who will improve and refine the docs, once a technical solution for including them in the process is found.

I am not such a wiki fan.
But if nothing better exists so be it.
I am also willing to assist on this somehow. But I also don't think the docs need a rewriting as much as a way for users imput to shape and refine them.
The FAQ and wish list ideas were for reducing traffic on the users group and to make it easier for the users/developer to find the information they contain: Faq and wish list items.

A F.A.Q and wish list would however be seperate from the regular docs and could even be setup as a faqomat See the CVS site. A faq would be a place for users to go when the docs aren't enough and before they try the users group or in the case of the wish list to see if someone else wants the same feature and vote on it.

my take on this,
Aaron