Re: I'm stumped - code check plz

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: I'm stumped - code check plz
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:26:54 +0100

chip wrote:

Thanks again guys. I don't recall reading anything in the manual about not being able to extend the length of a half-note with dots.

Sorry, but you're way off :-)

The rule (in music, hence also in lily) is that a dot extends a note by
half it's original length. Half of a 1/2 note is a 1/4, not a 1/8

It's probably there somewhere.

No, because you can indeed extend with dots...

Plus my son reminded me that the half-note
would need two dots to extend it an 1/8 longer anyway (I forgot the dot extends the note half of its value).

Hmmm, also wrong.

1/2 dotted = 1/2 + 1/4
1/2 double dotted = 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8

There's no way in musical notation (inside or outside lily) to extend a
1/2 by 1/8 using dots.

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte