Re: 6/4 rests

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: 6/4 rests
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:01:06 +0200

Hi,
My point was that given Lilypond chooses note duration over measure but especially with multi measure rest (which was what started making me crazing) there is a bit of logic to going after the measure instead of the note. I have a set of multimeasure rest which have time changes inside of them. I can easily copy and paste R1 or some other code for measure, and only add the time changes where appropriate.
I am not making lilypond, but just my thought.

But what I feel should be happening is that there should be a way of
notation a whole bar rest no matter what the time signiture.

R1 should mean that but it is based on 4/4
doesn't lily know what the time sig. is??
Lily checks my measures to make sure they have the right amount of beats.
Aaron

In lilypond, "1" is always the duration of a whole NOTE, not a whole
measure.  Lilypond makes the durations take priority over the measure
marks, which is why | only gives a warning if it's in the wrong place.

And as Arvid pointed out, R1. is probably better than R4*6.
In my book the documentation on rests just isn't clear. I will look at the docs again, cause maybe I am wrong.

Aaron