Re: Free music archives

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: Re: Free music archives
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:04:33 GMT

Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

> I can name three major Free sheet music sites off the top of my
> head*, and PG isn't one of them. [...] It would be nice to have a
> one-stop archive, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

The three biggest archives I can think of (including Mutopia!) have fairly
different aims and objectives, so no, I can't see any of them merging in the
future.

CPDL: Only Choral Music, Various licences
Werner Icking Archive: Any music, produced by any software, various licences
Mutopia: Open-source music, currently PD or MutopiaBSD licence

(this is from memory, and may be incorrect)

> [....] but until that happens, we'll need to search multiple sites.
[...]
> The first step to making it happen would be to contact the groups in charge
> of the various Free sheet music projects.  I expect that most of them have
> an email list of contributors (or potential contributors); that would be
> a good place to ask if they're interested in coordinating their indexes and
> efforts.

We would certainly be interested in co-ordinating indexes with the other
sites. It would save time for people looking for music, and avoid duplication
of effort.

I think the best way for this to happen would be for an un-biased third party
to look into setting up a site which is able to collate search results from
the [n] sites, and direct people in the right direction to download the
music.

> On a technical standpoint, I don't think it's so complicated.

I agree, you just need someone with a bit of time (something in which I am
severely lacking!), organisation and scripting skills to contact everyone
necessary and set something up.

>  You need
> 1)  A website and somewhere to host it.
> 2)  A database search cgi script (or similiar thing).
> 3)  Each project would need their own script that translates their own
> internal database into entries to your own database.  Then you'll need to
> convince them that they should send an update to your database whenever
> they update their own.  (this is the biggest step)

I don't think it would be necessary for each 'child' database to send updates
manually to the main database. The problem could be addressed either by
automatic mirroring of certain portions of the child archives, or
alternatively the parent database querying a script at the child sites every
time someone searches.

[this discussion]

> At the very least it should be moved to lilypond-user (I've done so),
> but it should really be moved somewhere else entirely.  However, I don't
> know where exactly.

We're in the final stages of setting up a mutopia-discuss mailing list, which
may be more appropriate. It should hopefully be up and running by the New
Year, although we've currently got some DNS/MX problems which need to be
resolved first. Maybe it would be worth bringing the topic up there when it's
finally set up and got some members!

Chris

PS. My apologies for taking so long to reply. I've been extremely busy at
work for the last couple of weeks, and am currently catching up on things...

--
Chris Sawer   -   address@hidden   -   Mutopia team leader
Free sheet music for all at Mutopia:  http://www.MutopiaProject.org