Re: using "embedded" fonts outside Lilypond [REVISITED]

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: using "embedded" fonts outside Lilypond [REVISITED]
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:52:16 -0500

Mats & Jan (et al.):

Someone should try editing a feta font file using pfaedit
to see what must be done for Illustrator to accept it.

Having spent a little more time in pfaedit, I think I now understand what needs to be done. I would love to help the lilypond cause if I can, so if you want, I would be pleased to pfaedit the fonts so that they are "acceptable" and then make them available back to you.

If I understand the situation correctly, it seems like we just need to assign Unicode codes to each glyph before saving (e.g., as a .dfont or .ttf). I would recommend that we stick to the "standard" Unicode musical symbol codes (<http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf>) where possible, only branching out into "private use area" codes when necessary.

Does that sound appropriate? Would you like me to take on this task?

Regards,
Kieren.