Re: Help in setting up music fragments in LaTeX

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Help in setting up music fragments in LaTeX
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:46:26 +0100

What LilyPond version are you using?
Maybe you have been hit by the same bug as
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-10/msg00399.html

   /Mats

jeff williams wrote:
Greetings Mats,

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I had tried both suggestions before writing to you. With the linewidth parameter, the staff itself is 2.5 inches wide, which is not the intention. The fragment tag also seems to do no good.

From what I can tell, lilypond is taking the default line width of 6 inches or so and treating the white space of that line as non-padded spaces. In other words, the white space is not being treated like white space but like characters which need to be printed. Thus the height problem is caused by fitting a 6 inch line on the 2.5 inch card -- the line wrap itself is causing trouble. I think. The same height problem happens even if I print the music in 11 point type.

Being more of a groff type of person rather than LaTeX, I'm not knowledgable about some of the subtle problems of integrating lilypond into a LaTeX document.

In the documentation for lilypond, one bug that was noted is the linewidth of a fragment is not properly handled. Is this what I am running up against? If so, possibly the flash cards can't be done with the current lilypond release.

Again, thanks for your help.

jeff williams