simple update from 1.6.10 to 2.1.0 on Mac OS X ???

From: nikolai zinke
Subject: simple update from 1.6.10 to 2.1.0 on Mac OS X ???
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 02:09:48 +0100

FIRST OF ALL: Thanks a lot for all of your helps!

This is exactly the reason why I could manage installing lilypond 1.6.10 under Mac OS X 10.2.8;
So far this version seems to be working fine.

But there a lot of improvements in more recent versions of lilypond
and many recent examples don't seem to work yet.
 It has been a little bit recoded in some parts.

My Question:

Can I simply update lilypond-1.6.10 to ilypond-2.1.0 (the latest version??)
without re-installing fink etc.

But  there must be something different with installing then?!
.
I'm not really a Unix-Freak, I'm happy to be able to paste
some terminal orders I have been shown!

I'd be very appreciated to get some verbose responses
in order to do it exactly and correctly enough.

Great Thanks,

Nikolai Zinke