Re: lyrics not quite lining up

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lyrics not quite lining up
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:58:41 +0100

Your mail program managed to destroy the attachment
(for some reason, the file was handled like a plain text
file, the content type should be application/pdf or
application/octet-stream).

Anyway, it seems that you didn't read all of
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#lyrics-bar.ly
namely that you should add the Bar_engraver to the LyricsVoice context
to avoid collisions with the bar lines. This is done with:

\score{
  \paper{
    \translator {
      \LyricsVoiceContext
      \consists "Bar_engraver"

    /Mats

Russ Ross wrote:
Russ Ross wrote:

I'm using Lilypond 2.0.1 and having trouble getting lyrics to line
up properly.  They are finding the right notes, but they tend to be
a bit off to the left or right.  They end up overlapping bar lines
and melisma lines and they are a bit hard to follow in some places.
Is this a setup error of some kind?  I'm using default options
everywhere on a Mandrake 9.2 setup.  It's pretty consistent, so
doing manual overrides seems overkill (it would have to happen on
every lyric).

Please send a small example file that illustrates the problems.

I've attached one page of PDF output from a larger score.  Some of
the problems go away when I try to extract it to a smaller example.
Here's the relevant input for the first line of lyrics in the
example (the initial skip finishes on the page I provided):

\context Lyrics = sopranoLyrics \lyrics {

  \skip1*12/8*16
  Kommt,8*8 __ ihr8 Toch*2 -- ter,8 |
  helft4 mir8 kla8*8 -- gen8 |

when I add the following:

  \property Lyrics . LyricText \override #'alignment = #-1

the first "Kommt," moves into the right place but it pushes the
"ter," at the end of that measure even further into the barline.
This also pushes "helft" in the next measure to the right making it
look wrong.

The melisma after "Kommt," collides with the comma and the ends of
measures overlap the barlines quite often.

This is pretty typical of what I'm seeing.  If you'd like more
source input to go with it let me know.

Also, please take a look at the examples
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#lyric-align.ly
and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#lyrics-bar.ly
to see if they give answer to some of your questions.

That was helpful.  That's where I found the alignment property above
(which helped) but I'm still not quite there.

<snip--still digesting the rest>

Thanks for your help!

Russ