Re: More Merging Two Notes & Triplets

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: More Merging Two Notes & Triplets
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:17:47 +0200

Will Oram wrote:
Hi -- sorry to bother y'all again.

While looking through the manual for something else, I came upon the tweak
\property Staff.NoteCollision \override #'merge-differently-dotted = ##t
to accomplish this concept:

  _____
 |     |
*  *  *
|__|__|
   3

You can see an example of what I'm aiming for in http://www.foxchange.com/~spamguy/misc_pictures/stavesample.jpg -- check the last beat of the last bar.

I tried this tweak and it didn't do anything. Perhaps I didn't place it in the right spot?

As can be deduced from the name, this property has to do with dotted notes and won't affect your example since no dotted notes are involved.
The documentation of this property says:
"Merge noteheads in collisions, even if they have a different number of
dots. This normal notation for some types of polyphonic music."

In your situation, you could do
<<{g8*4/3 fis8*2/3} \\ \times 2/3{e8 fis ais}>>
The g8*4/3 will tell LilyPond to typeset a eighth note but
space it as if it had the duration of 4/3 times its normal lenght,
i.e. the same duration as two of the triplet notes.

---

On another note (groan):

I'm trying to remove 3s from under triplets midway through a score, once you get the idea that they're triplets. I hear \property Voice.tupletInvisible = ##t and \property Voice.TupletBracket \override #'tuplet-number-visibility = ##f are supposed to do the job, but when I place this inside a block of music, only half the target tuplets have their numbers removed.

This can be observed again in http://www.foxchange.com/~spamguy/misc_pictures/stavesample.jpg -- in the bass line, the first three tuplets are fine, and then the 3s return. The treble line is similar.

If you set the TupletBracket property, there's no need to set also the
tuplet-number-visible property.
In general, when you say \property Voice.property = #value, the property
will only be set in the current Voice context, not in any other Voice
contexts, such as the upper voice when you split into two voices.
If, instead, you say \property Staff.property ..., then the setting
will apply to the full stave. See also
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-10/msg00195.html

   /Mats