Re: Input Once, Output Multiple (or, "Am I on the right track?")

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: Input Once, Output Multiple (or, "Am I on the right track?")
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:34:14 -0700

Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:

Hey, y'all:

I'm planning the engraving of my first 'big' project in Lilypond, and want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction! =)

(snip)

Questions:
a. Does this sound like the most feasible/viable option?

Yes.

b. Is there a way that global contexts can be of assistance?

Yes. Use: global = { } to define anything in common like time signatures and rehearsal marks and \skip to represent the time and | (barchecks). There may be more you can put in there but those are the ones that have worked reliably for me. This is used with '\translator { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }' to keep the global from being it's own staff.

c. For sections where the instruments strictly double the voices, would it make any sense to "share" notes?

Any time you have something you would type more than once you can do something like: themeone = { ... } and then use \themeone whereever that appears in the music. If it appears in a different octave or even in a different key you can just transpose \notes\transpose c c' \themeone, etc. These pieces can be as small as fits your music. If I have a pattern that needs to be at different dynamic levels I create a 'macro' that omits the first note then I do something like:

i = \notes { ... }

partone = \notes { a4\p \i ... a4\f \i } and so on.

Paul Scott