Re: Style sheets

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Style sheets
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:41:42 +0200

Bonjour Ralph

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:12:24 +0100, tu as dit :

 > Hi there,
 > I'm getting to the point in my Lilypond excursions whereby I want to produce
 > something a little "posher" and in a more structured way.
 > It occurs to me that it would be cool to setup some kind of general settings
 > a Lilypond composition that I can reuse easily.

 > The kinds of things that I am thinking of are global settings for font
 > preferences for dynamic markings, fonts for headers, copyright footnotes,
 > macros for common markups.

 > Once this is all setup nicely to a preferred "house-style" it would be nice
 > to drop in those definitions at the beginning of subsequent compositions as
 > a kind of "package".

 > Has anybody tried to do this and have you had much success?
 > If so, it would be cool to have a store of different styles for the web
 > site, to go with the templates.

 > Sorry if this is an obvious question...

 > Cheers, in advance,
 > Ralph

I start all my lily \score files by a \include "common.ly"
instruction. In common.ly, I have put some global settings, such as:

------------
\version "2.0.0"
\include "italiano.ly"
\include "paper13.ly"

#(use-modules
  (ice-9 optargs)
  (lilypond markups)
  (lilypond music))

#(defmacro* marques (#:rest body)
   blabla...)

% other scheme macros and functions here

% these will be default settings for all header blocks
\header{
  footer = "blabla"
  tagline =  "blublu"
}

% these will be default settings for all paper blocks
\paper {
  noindent = 0.0\cm
  smallindent = 0.5\cm
  largeindent = 2.0\cm

  mylinewidth = 17.0\cm
  myinterscoreline = 16.0\pt
  myinterscorelinefill = 0.0

  indent = \smallindent
  linewidth = \mylinewidth
  interscoreline = \myinterscoreline
  interscorelinefill = \myinterscorelinefill

  \translator {\FiguredBassContext
    % etc

Then, in the \paper block of a \score block, I may override some
properties if needed.

If `common.ly' file is located say in ~/atys/common, then I
use "lilypond -I~/atys/common ..." so that lilypond could find
it.

There may be better solutions, though.

Nicolas