stave compression, music reuse, etc.

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: stave compression, music reuse, etc.
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:20:32 -0400

Hello, all --

I write choral music that includes many different textures, including the following: extended sections in "unison" (i.e., SA in unison, TB in unison an octave lower), which can be written on a single line; homophonic sections, which can (often) be written on two staves; and polyphonic sections, which require four (or sometimes more) staves. In a single engraved score, I sometimes need to switch between these "modes", in order to improve readability, reduce errors, and save space.

Is there any way that I can take advantage of Lilypond to assist with this? For example, can I assign the same music to four different Voices, and decide at compile time whether the four voices should be outputted to one, two, or four lines?

Thanks,
Kieren.