Fwd: Re: inversions in lilypond 1.8.2

From: Amelie Zapf
Subject: Fwd: Re: inversions in lilypond 1.8.2
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 22:05:15 +0200

Subject: Re: inversions in lilypond 1.8.2
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:12:41 +0200
From: Amelie Zapf <address@hidden>
To: Ray Brohinsky <address@hidden>

Hi all,

as with all discussions about chords, let me throw in my 2ยข...

Voice leading is NOT an option. Voice leading is a MUST. But with chord name
notation, it is usually left up to the player. Only if the lowest voice
_in_the_entire_piece_, meaning usually the bass player, is to play a specific
note is this expressly denoted with a slash: F/A. Voice leading in the middle
voices is strictly up to the player.

I might caution you against inversion support. Especially when you get to
chords with an upper structure beyond the 7th, you cannot speak of
"inversion" anymore, there's just "voicings" in which some notes are left
out, and the rest is usually spaced at distances between thirds and fifths,
with fourths sounding the smoothest.

How should these inversions come out on the paper, anyway?

Albest,

Amy