Re: inversions in lilypond 1.8.2

From: Ray Brohinsky
Subject: Re: inversions in lilypond 1.8.2
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:37:01 -0400

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

I didn't give any thought to it. What do you precisely need? How
should <c e a> be printed in ChordNames ?

Han-Wen
(chord agnostic)

Believe me, I was a chord agnostic for years. At least as far as theory and voice leading are concerned. Guitars have a nice way of saving one from that sort of thing. And then Ken says, Hey, the guitar solo and the keyboard pads don't happen at the same time, so why don't you strap on the guitar and play the pads as well!!

And now I'm a true-sort-of-believer.

Anyway. The notation already has the ability to move a note in the chord to be the bass, ie, a:m is <<a c e>>, and a:m/c moves the c down and makes <<c a e>>. This may be useful in jazz, I don't know. But the system would easily encompass inversions if using /c identified the lowest note in the inversion. So a:m/c would make <<c e a>> and a:m/e would make it <<e a c>>.

As far as what moves down and what moves up, I prefer consistancy: leave the a where it is, move the others around it as needed. Then, if I need to, I can shift the whole chord by ' or , as needed.

For third inversions, you're forced to have a seventh, which is placed at the bottom, and the rest of the triad will stay where it was. For root, first and second inversion seventh chords, with the root staying put octavaciously-speaking, the seventh will be on top for the root (uninverted) form, and nestle under the tonic for the first and second (and third) inversions.

What to do about larger chords than the seventh? Well, my theory doesn't include larger inversions than three. Someone who does them will have to advise, but since an inversion that puts the ninth in the bass is pretty weird, and an octave translation of the ninth down just makes a good-old-second chord, I doubt there's much argument to be had over it. (I'm usually wrong about arguments, though.)

So for me, the ideal would be
root                    a               <<a c e>> or <<a c e bes>>
first inversion         a:/c            <<c, e a>> or <<c, e bes a>>
second inversion        a:/e            <<e, a c>> or <<e, bes a c>>
third inversion         a:/bes          <<bes a c e>>

These are normal for 'closed' form. If someone's getting into open form (where there's more than a fifth between any of the upper voices), they're going to want to notate that carefully and by hand. In those cases, being able to have two streams, one for chord names and one for the actual note voicings, makes sense anyway, because it's very hard to specify open spaced chords meaningfully in 'inversion' terminology without losing the compound intervals.

The syntax for adding a bass note looks just fine to me, btw. Likewise the syntax for excluding a note. If making inversion support doesn't break that, I'll be very happy. Sometimes I have to play an inverted F chord over a G bass (kind of like a heavy sus4) or a D bass against a C2 chord without the e... I'll bet the jazz guys have a really neat name for that! I...just don't have a clue what it'd be.

raybro