Re: question about accidentals

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: question about accidentals
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:54:06 -0400

On Sunday 14 September 2003 06:30 am, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > > Indeed, and it suggests that the documentation should make this
> > > point more clearly.  I made the same mistake when I started out.
> >
> > It really wouldn't be that difficult to make a setting to
>
> it depends. It would be quite hairy to get transposition right, for
> example.

Not if the operation of making the signature chromatics is done *first*.
Not if it is only applied to note names *without* attached chromatics.
Since accidentals are unaffected, the "n" simply does nothing except
say "I'm an accidental natural, leave me natural".  If it's not an
accidental, but a typing error, it doesn't matter because the note is
natural anyway.  The thing is very simple if you keep it so.  You
must be thinking of this in relative terms.  MakeKeySignatureChromatics
is simple substitution.  It's not relative to anything.  It doesn't
matter whether you \transpose a big chunk in the middle if you are
still *writing* in the same key.  Make the substitutions first, then
transpose those notes exactly the way you do now, no worries.

Of course if you try to do something more, like repeat or cancel
anything through a measure, it could get horribly complicated.  Just
don't do anything like that.  Problem solved.

Furthermore, it is less confusing to move through a score with
this than with relative pitch.  And a user who doesn't like it doesn't
have to use it.  In G or F, different folks would use it or not
use it, depending on how *their* heads work.  So, for example,
assuming makeKeySignatureChromatics is true:

\key e \major g gis g
would be the same as gis gis gis.  The only problem for the user
is if he forgets to type an "n" where he needs it as an accidental.
Not a problem if he knows what key he's in, and if he doesn't he
shouldn't be using the setting.  In the key of C or A minor the
function would do absolutely nothing, and it should make no
difference whatever whether makeKeySignatureChromatics were
set or not or to what, because there are no such chromatic signs.  To
avoid unnecessary errors, simply ignore any unnecessary "n"s that might
be mistakenly typed in and the note is natural anyway, no matter what
the setting.

It would be turned off and on again whenever there was a key change,
but \transpose makes no difference at all.  If no longer desired, it
could be unset.

If you want a double sharp, you simply have to write it as a
double sharp:

\key b \major
g gisis a g
would be the same as unset:
gis gisis ais gis

\key b \major
g gisis a gn g gis
would be the same as unset:
gis gisis ais g gis gis

and mainly, \key b \major
b c d e f g a b
would be the same as unset:
b cis dis e fis gis ais b

I'm sure I could implement this to use with sly, but sly is really
for large projects, and MakeKeySignatureChromatics would probably
be of even more use to someone doing something small in a hurry.

> > Is there some reason "x" can't be used optionally instead of
> > "ss"?  It wouldn't be necessary to get rid of "ss" to do it.
> > daveA
>
> ss?
>
> You mean sharpsharp for the US-notenames?

Sure.  I have never seen a double sharp referred to as a sharpsharp.
Is "gx" much worse than "gisis", if you could use both indiscriminately
in the same file?  If you had it available yourself, can you honestly
say that you wouldn't ever use it?  ;-)

Point is that the "x" would be a no-fail alternative, not a replacement.
And it's close to language neutral, since the letter "x" is almost
identical to the sign that it represents.  Just a thought  :-) daveA

--
Why should any country entrust its young people to the leadership of
the same