lilypond on slack 9 (working after much trouble)

From: Ed Sutton
Subject: lilypond on slack 9 (working after much trouble)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:27:22 -0700

to make it work, ive had to put forth a lil more effort than the installation
page mentions...:
installed:
  gcc 2.95-3
  guile-core-20030716
  mftrace-1.0.19.tar.gz
  pfaedit full-030818
  lilypond-1.8.0.tar.gz
  type1-1.8.0.tar.gz
  autotrace-0.30.tar.gz  (tried 0.31.1, which lead to more problems so i
decided to try the suggested 0.30 before starting another sublevel problem
tracking...)
  t1utils-1.28.tar.gz
maybe others too, but i cant remember for now.
i never (permanentely) added /usr/share/texmf/bin/ to my path, which was
required for kpsewhich and kpsexpand , if not more. i just used an export
command with my current path, listed by env, and repeated the step whenever i
noticed a kps program listed as command not found. if i can provide more
useful information, let me know. i made a slackware package for lilypond, but
it still preceeded the commands of sh buildscripts/clean-fonts.sh , make
pfa-fonts , make MAKE_PFA_FILES=1 install , and texhash .  i cant remember if
i performed the steps after that.
i am not sure what 'make MAKE_PFA_FILES=1 install' does different from a 'make
install' to know how to add its results to a package either. at least at this
point i do have lilypond working (after over a day of working with it). are
there plans to move away from flex due to gcc 3.x incompatibilities?
in the meantime, thanks again for what looks like it should be a good and fun
program (now that i got past the install). now ive got a lil learning ahead
of me, but through a lil exploring of your site it looks that wont even be
very hard. ive got a bit of a programming history behind me (although not
career orientated), but unfortunately its been a while since ive done much at
all and i havent really done any programming since ive ben on linux. if there
is any further help that i can offer, let me know. in the meantime, i will
try to present a few outputs to some people i know for feedback, and if they
ever see details to criticize, ill be sure to forward it along.
thanks again,
Ed Sutton