Re: Da Capo, Segno, etc.

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Da Capo, Segno, etc.
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:53:25 +0200

07 Aug 2003 14:21:07 +0300, Aaron a dit :

 > Hi being scheme illiterite I couldn't figure out how to use your code.
 > I also couldn't figure out its advantage over using text scripts.

It is only an experimentation, it still requires some (read: a lot of)
improvements. So it may not be a good idea to use it if you can't put
your fingers in the scheme code. It is a draft for something that will
be usefull for me in a near future. The idea (not yet fully
implemented), is to define, thanks to `def-dacapo', or whatever will
be its name, two or three contexts with a single command:

  - two for multi-staff scores, where different marks may appear above
  and below systems (for instance, a segno mark above and a "dal
  segno" below).

  - optionnaly, one context for one-staff scores.

That way, one may save redondant typing, and ensure consistency among
all parts of one's score.

 > I mean, can it effect playback?? Is it easier to postition??

absolutely no more effect on playback than the equivalent with
LilyPond syntax, ie:

marksDown = \context Voice = "marksDown" {
  \notes { s1*1
           \once \property ...
           \markup ...
           s1*2
           ... etc }}

 >> Optional arguments may added to the (segno), (dacapo), etc, functions,
 >> so that the mark should be raised / shifted if wanted.
 >>
 > These options are listed where??

My sentence was ambiguous, let me rephrase it. "In a more achieved
version, optional arguments could be added ...". That would be cool to
simply write (dalsegno 0 -5) or (dalsegno #:raise -5) in order to move
the dal segno mark down for instance. (but as a single (dalsegno)
statement will be used to generate a couple of contexts, I have to
think about a less ambiguous notation, something like
(dalsegno #:down (#:raise -5)) or (dalsegno #:down 0 -5))

I am going to improve all this stuff, and add other things, for some
large scores I maintain or will typeset. Wherever a pattern is
encountered in my scores, I'll try to write a utility that let me
generate the pattern. For instance, in an opera part, you may have a
lot of recitatives, where the score has two staves (recit + bass) and
always (almost) the same paper block. For instance one could simply
write:

#(def-recitative
   #:recit-file "recit.ly"
   #:lyrics-file "lyrics.ly"
   #:bass-file "bass.ly"
   #:fingering-file "fingers.ly"
   #:an-optional-property-I-want-to-set blabla)

Then, as the \score job is done, I can focus on note entry. And
I am sure that all my recitatives look the same.

That is the idea of what I'm doing.

nicolas