Re: continued/discontinued bar lines

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: Re: continued/discontinued bar lines
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 15:45:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> want your own layout, you can define your own context type, either
>
> ??? What do you want to do? The predefined context types have been defined to

I plan score layout in my GUI score editor NoteEdit:

http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html

Of course, I want to export this to LilyPond. Till now
I implemented braces (PianoStaff) and brackets (StaffGroup).

And actually I wanted to leave the staff rules policy as a
task to LilyPond because the LilyPond rules ...

> ...correspond to standard typesetting practice.

So far there is no problem. But I wonder if there is perhaps
an self-willed user who wants to break all rules. Note
he/she can do in NoteEdit score what he/she wants.

The question is: Should I do my best to (miss)use the
LilyPond rules such a way that the user can export every
staff rule (even if it is unusual or nonsense). Or should
I program a PopUp menu: "LilyPond cannot deal with partial
continued partial discontinued bar rules inside a staff group".

But if I read this...

> by redefining an existing one or making a completely new. Several
> examples of how this is done can be found in the tips-and-tricks
> and "Regression test" documents on the web page.
>
> The continued bar lines are typeset by the "Span_bar_engraver"
> so that's the engraver to add/remove to the context.

... I tend to the PopUp menu.

> Have you checked all the existing context types, by the way?
> If you want a StaffGroup without continued bar lines, you could
> use a ChoirStaff context instead.

Ok, I think I could still distinguish StaffGroup and ChoirStaff.
All others: PopUp menu!

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (address@hidden)