Moving Labels Around

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Moving Labels Around
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:18:06 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> I'm reading the 1.8 manual after upgrading to an unstable. Text
> movement is still a problem for me, even with simplified Scheme markup.
> I have a short string ("sim.") that overlaps with a beamed note, so
> naturally I want to move it down. The original, unmoved one works fine:
>
> e'4_\markup { \italic { sim. } }
>
> but anything to modify its position *doesn't* produce any change at all:
>
> e'4_\markup { \italic \raise #1.0 { sim. } }
>
> ...I tried both +/- values for #. This didn't do anything either:
>
> e'4_\markup { \italic \translate #(cons X Y) { sim. } }
>
> ...where X and Y were various values. None of these changed its
> position any. Am I missing something?

Yes.

I've added the following:

        @code{\raise} and @code{\super} raise objects in relation to
        their surrounding markups. They cannot be used to move a
        single text up or down, when it is above or below a note,
        since the mechanism that positions it next to the note cancels
        any vertical shift.  For vertical positioning, use
        @code{padding} and/or @code{extra-offset} properties.