Re: chords as roman numerals?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: chords as roman numerals?
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 11:27:15 +0200

All contexts (Staff, Lyrics, ...) are printed in the order they are
first defined, so just say

my_lyrics = \lyrics{...}
my_music = \notes {...}

\score{
  \context Lyrics = Lyrics_Above \my_lyrics
  \context Staff = The_Music \my_music
}

However, a minor complication arrives if you want to use the
\addlyrics feature to automatically match the syllables to the
notes, since it takes the music as the first argument and the
lyrics as the second argument. The trick then is to first define
all the contexts in the order you want them just filled with a
few bars of space and then use the same contexts for the actual
music and lyrics joined together with \addlyrics. Something like:

\score{
% Predeclare the contexts to get the correct order
  \context Lyrics = Lyrics_Above {s1}
  \context Staff = The_Music {s1}

% The actual music and text
  \addlyrics
    \context Staff = The_Music \my_music
    \context Lyrics = Lyrics_Above \my_lyrics
}

See also the template file /usr/share/doc/lilypond/input/template/satb.ly
(or wherever it's installed on your system).

   /Mats

Russell wrote:
Can you put a lyric line above the staff instead of below? How would you
do that?

Thanks.

Russell.