Re: Clef change before first note

From: Daniel Ashton
Subject: Re: Clef change before first note
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:01:27 -0500

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

address@hidden writes:

  \partial 8 s8 \bar ""

This seems to render a fairly acceptable result, but it really feels like a hack. Is there a less convoluted solution?

(It's convoluted partly because every voice now requires a leading s8.)

Notice that the problem is only seen when doing a temporary clef change before the first note or rest. After the first note or rest the clef change works just fine, leaving the initial clef visible as expected.

We could introduce a special alignment-class for clef changes, but I'm
not sure what the proper notation of a clef change at the beginning of
the line is ; I believe that 2 clefs at the same musical point would
only be necessary at the start of a piece, right?

Right. I've attached a scan of the example I'm working from. I would suggest a new command called \clefChange that would be like \clef, but would never override the starting clef at the beginning of the piece. If \clefChange is the first clef command found, then the implicit treble clef should be visible.

Also, how can I get the curly brace visible to the left of the staves in this example?

Thanks,

Daniel

--
Daniel Ashton      PGP key available     http://Daniel.AshtonFam.org