improving docs (was: Break_Align_Order-3)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: improving docs (was: Break_Align_Order-3)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:06:54 -0800

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:00:18 -0700
Paul Scott <address@hidden> wrote:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >>How about some diagrams showing the relationships between the
> >>various dimensions and what they apply to?
> >Please make some! :-)
> >
> I wish I knew enough about these to do that.

You don't really need to know a lot to improve docs (this isn't just
directed at you, Paul; as Han-Wen says, many people have asked for
better documentation).

If you (or anybody else) is a good proofreader, then simply proofread
the documents -- that's what I did until I agreed to finish my cello
suite before I graduate (in a few weeks).  While you're proofreading,
you can add in a bit of rephrasing, extra explanations, or better
examples.

When you're having trouble understanding something, make a note of it.
Once you _do_ understand it, rewrite or create a new piece of
documentation that makes it easier to understand.

Cheers,
- Graham