Re: How to remove first score indentation?

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: How to remove first score indentation?
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:30:54 -0500

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 05:20 am, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
>  > ...
> >
> > I would rather keep it, but in lilypond-book the first line of
> > music is indented twice and all the other lines indented once.
> > Since I don't plan to put the instrument name before any of the
> > lines because it is obvious from context what the instrument is,
> > how can I get the music lines to have the same left margin and
> > indention as the text lines?
>
> Use the noquote option to get rid of the extra indentation:
> \begin[noquote]{lilypond} ... \end{lilypond}
>
> This question has popped up a number of times since Werner Lemberg
> improved the TeX code output from Lilypond. At least when using
> lilypond-book together with LaTeX documents, I have never seen any
> example where I didn't want the noquote option.
>
> How about changing lilypond-book and making noquote the default?
> Of course, it's always a problem to make incompatible changes, but
> that's more or less what we did at the time when the noquote option
> was introduced. Comments?

fantastic!

lilypondfile[noquote]{xxx.ly}

did the trick and I can get indention if I want.  In this particular
project, I want a bit.

Why not do away with quote/noquote altogether and just indent the first
line or the lines after according to whether or not \property
Staff.instrument and Staff.instr are set?  If they are set = "" , then
there would be whitespace for anyone who wanted it.  If they are not
set at all then no shortening except the first line indention, and if
indent is set to zero then none of that either. That way there doesn't
need to be any worrying about what the default should be, and dummies
like me don't have to try to understand what this has to do with
quoting anything.  :-)

BTW is Staff.instrument going to be Staff.Instrument?

--
Lies are the first casualty of peace.
dra@ or http://www.openguitar.com