Re: Cygwin problem

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Cygwin problem
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:17:32 +0100

Jérémie Lumbroso <address@hidden> writes:

[flup to lilypond-user  -- stuff like this should probably go to
address@hidden, certainly not to lilypond-devel]

MB> It looks as if you don't have the basic Cygwin environment
MB> installed.

Did you even *read* this?  Read it again.

> I unchecked everything, and checked Lilypond to get only required
> packages.

Duh.  And what made you think you can do without the basic Cygwin
environment?!

Per Han-Wen's request, I removed the hostile disclaimers from

   http://lilypond.org/Documentation/windows/out-www/installing.html

That page used to have several warnings reading:

   Please follow this procedure accurately.  If you choose not to do
   this, then YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN.  DO NOT MAIL us with your problems.

Do we really need to insert such hostile warnings again?  Please, just
follow procedure.  I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh, but it is
uninformed postings like this that make me reconsider if we should
distribute LilyPond for windows at all.

> Obviously something is wrong with how the dependencies are set.

No.  Please inform yourself before making accusations.  Cygwin policy
prohibits dependencies on basic packages (except for the 'cygwin'
package).  Yes, you can break stuff by deselecting base packages.  If
you don't like that, complain to address@hidden

Greetings,
Jan.